OPS Mandate, Mission, and Objectives
The mandate of the Ontario Provincial Standards for Roads and Public Works (OPS) organization is to develop and maintain consistent cost-effective methods to improve the administration of road building in Ontario by providing:
- a comprehensive set of standard specifications and drawings
- source lists for products, services, and technical solutions
Under the general direction of the OPS Advisory Board, the OPS Products Management Committee (PMC), and OPS Standards Management Committee (SMC) provide, maintain, and enhance these services for use by road and public works owners, contractors, and consultants in Ontario.
The Ontario Provincial Standards for Roads and Public Works (OPS) organization:
- develops and publishes a comprehensive set of standard specifications and drawings; and
- manages the evaluation, classification, and recording of information related to materials and products,
for use in the construction of roads and public works in Ontario.
- Develop and improve the administration, safety and environmental aspects, and cost effectiveness of the design and construction of roads, structures, sewers, watermains, and electrical services.
- Review and update all standards on a five- to fifteen-year cycle to ensure they meet the needs of the users and are current with the technology, material, and methods employed by the engineering and construction industry.
- Manage the evaluation, classification, and recording of information as related to products, services, and technical solutions.
- Publish updates to the standards.
- Promote the use of OPS on a province-wide basis.